Saturday, April 13, 2013

Strong Schools, Strong Neighborhoods

In case you missed the event downtown in March, here's a terrific short film from the scene.



Toward the end there, Jitu Brown exhorts legislators to stop the closings, and I agree with him. When I first got involved in this issue, I thought that it was possible that the CPS administration might have to close a school here or there, but then I started looking deeper.

They don't know what they're doing. Not on small issues, and certainly not on historically huge operations like this unprecedented plan.

So, that's why we're going to push forward with our legislators on HB 3283, the moratorium. It currently has these sponsors--- you'll note some prominent missing names:

It's in the Senate as SB 1571, with these senators as sponsors:
I notice that the state senator representing Rogers Park is not on board yet, and I'm not holding my breath, but I will say this: anyone for whom high-quality governance is a priority cannot possibly be impressed with what CPS has come up with, and how it is proceeding. It's a joke.

Thanks to Fred for posting the video.   It's unusually beautiful--- the work of Kai-Duc Luong, and produced by Heather Stone.  As a person who has filmed a lot of protests, I can tell you that when artists and professionals do it, you get the actual magic of the event rather than just some footage. This is a really, really good short film.

No comments:

Post a Comment